Monday, May 12, 2014

Why IVF? ...a lil' background

You're probably wondering why a perfectly healthy 32 year old needs IVF to conceive, right?  No?  Well...I'll tell you anyway.

I'm 32, 5'4, 136lbs, in good health -- what gives?  Well, it's much more complicated than that.

At 25 years of age, I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer -- random abdominal pains during happy hour that grew increasingly worse over night and led to a trip to the ER whose CT Scans revealed an interestingly exploding tumor just above my perfectly normal appendix -- I managed to finish all 6 martinis before heading to the ER though....I just don't believe in wasting alcohol!  Colorectal surgery and a ton of chemotherapy treatments later (March - November), I was free!  I gave up 12 inches of colon, a full head of hair, lots and lots of brain cells (a good chunk of my long term memory found the exit door).....for a clean bill of health!  But one very tiny important detail that will come to [haunt] me later on in life:  I didn't get to harvest my eggs!
Why?  There was no time. Surgery was on Jan 29th, and I was given 8 weeks to heal and warned that chemo needed to start IMMEDIATELY after healing so I could have the best chance at killing the cancerous cells moving aggressively into my lymph nodes and towards my liver.  Chemo started on the 57th day after chemo....exactly 8 weeks later!

In 2012 a routine gynecology visit, reviewing my healthy history, my ObGyn suggested I visit a renowned fertility doctor in South Jersey to rule out any potential issues from my treatments that may prevent [us] from conceiving should we choose to in the future. It was a horrible experience -- very much a factory, little to no humanity in the staff's or doctor's dealings with us, and their methodology was comprised of antiquated medical practices.  For something so personal and sensitive, one needs a more ginger approach.

Despite the horrific experience at Dr. *****'s practice, we discovered one key issue:  a male factor!
My husband had been nursing Crohn's Disease for many years, having only 3 hospitalized flares (at the time) in his life (one upon discovery at 16, the second while defending his Ph.D, and the third a month after our wedding.....and no I was not a bridezilla!)  The disease was seemingly under control with the treatment of Azathioprine (an immuno-suppressant), so we thought!  But it wasn't!  It was producing antibodies in his semen that essentially made his sperm toxic to me.....and him!   It had devastating effects (unbeknownst to us initially) on our efforts to conceive.  He ditched that drug, and switched to a biologic. but not before one last flare on new year's eve 2012....oh yes, I watched the ball drop from a very uncomfortable hospital recliner as he fought for his life ---- FUN!

PS:
I'm African with no family history of colon cancer; father died of lung cancer (non-smoker), paternal aunt died of breast cancer both in their 50s, siblings are alive and healthy.  Underwent genetic testing, which revealed inconclusive mutation in my genes for colon cancer, not enough data to make an absolute determination on impact on future offspring, and 12% chance of breast cells becoming cancerous -- again, data is just in the noise; not enough to cause panic.
Husband is 38, 5'6", healthy BMI, African American, no family history of Crohn's or cancer.  Siblings are alive and healthy.


7 comments:

  1. Felicia7:41 PM

    I want to publicly acknowledge how proud of u I am of your courageous attempts at this entire IVF process, including the more importantly courageous decision to publicly post a blog for others to feel empowered and inspired by your experience. The blog is beautifully written and captures all of the most raw human emotions of this process. May God continue to give u the strength to endure. You have already won the battle in my eyes and in God's eyes. God bless u and James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Felicia. It's certainly a very raw process...and if it helps someone else during a trying time in life, then it was worth it!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:40 AM

    You are helping someone with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 AM

    So proud of you. You never know who you might help by sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Nice job. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Am reading with tears rolling down my face. You're going through challenges and yet you're able to tell your story with a smile. I don't know what to say.....thinking and praying for both of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I am truely so proud of you..you are blessing so many people by sharing. .and God will surely bless you. Love u.!

    ReplyDelete