Monday, June 09, 2014

D-DAY!


 

"Drive fasterrrrr....c'monnnn step on it!!!!"
"I'm driving as fast as I legally can on an interstate babe, calm down!"
"Our appointment is at noon....think we'll make it?"
"Relax.  We'll be fine.  Sit back and take a nap....you'll need all the rest you can get!"


I nagged him the entire six-hour drive back home.  It was the big day -- EMBRYO-TRANSFER DAY!  Three days before that, we sneaked out of town for a short vacation while the fertilized eggs were maturing....we were determined to get at least a day on the beach before all hell broke loose. We even left a day earlier than planned, knowing the trip would be cut short as we'd have to depart at the crack of dawn a few days later for the procedure.

The medical team was ecstatic to see us.  We'd been the subject of many round-table discussions amongst well-renowned physicians and medical professionals in the area.  Our case was rather interesting to them and made for great research.

I was giggling so loudly when Dr. ***** walked in to discuss and finalize plans for the number of blastocysts to transfer.
"What's so funny....I want in on the joke?"
"....well, we're at a stalemate here and maybe you can help us out.  What do you think of the name Coral?" I asked.
With a straight face, he adds "I ....like it.  Is that for a boy or a girl?"
My husband falls out of his chair in laughter!  I guess that settles THAT dispute.

Be very leery when a person says "I like it" with ZERO facial expression.  Not a blink, a smile, a twitch...nothing!  He really didn't need to lie.  I have three to five pages full of other names from which to pick. No need to placate me Doc!


"Lie back and spread 'em open"  says the doc.
"hehehe....that's what she said"   blurts out the comedian in the room my husband.
(no one laughs!)
(well actually, the nurse, doctor, and embryologist chuckled, but I didn't find that joke funny at all.  FOCUS PEOPLE!!!!)

"ouchhhh"
"that was just a clamp...you've felt this before.  I need you to relax"
"ok doc"
"see THAT on the monitor?  That's your embryo.  It's in!!!"
"whoa...!  that was quick"
"yep!  lie on your back for a few minutes...we'll return with some post procedure instructions"
"hahaha....that's what she said" blurts out the comedian

He seems to be on a roll today!

A few minutes later, I was discharged and ordered off my feet (bed-rest) for 24 hours to allow the embryo to implant.  I was to exert the least amount of energy in those 24 hours -- only get out of bed to eat and use the bathroom if need be.  For someone who is always on-the-go, this was PURE TORTURE for me.  It was 88 degrees outside, beautiful, sunny, breezy, birds chirping, perfect day for the beach and the sun didn't set until what seemed like well into midnight.  The hours passed soooo slowly.   I wasn't tired at all...yet I laid in bed.  I watched sports and Reality TV and newscast and movies ad nauseam!!!!  I played so much Candy Crush on my phone until it overheated and needed to cool off before it was rechargeable.  It was pure misery!

On the 59th second of the 59th minute of the 23rd hour the next day, I BOLTED OUT OF BED, hopped in the shower, grabbed my keys and headed to the beach.   FINALLY............in my element!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:54 AM

    OMG first of all i just actually say your blog!!!! OMG such an amazing thing and so brave but will touch so many people with your story. And you will find that it's therapeutic for you

    ReplyDelete