Monday, June 09, 2014

The Wait


   

For many women, the most agonizing time during any fertility period is the dreaded 'two-week-wait'.  It's the two weeks in between your ovulation date (and hopefully conception date) and the day you're supposed to start menstruating............... or..............miss a period and test positive for pregnancy.

Many of us slow down our activity to give our bodies enough preserved energy to aid in the conception process.  Some of us try to distract ourselves by engaging in as much work/activity as possible, that it leaves no time to think about the inevitable.  Others with very obsessive tendencies practically LIVE on 'two-week-wait' websites and blogs. These sites are usually dumping grounds for women's symptoms during the waiting period ...and how to detect if you're pregnant.  I highly recommend against this....they can drive you crazy!  Instead, focus on eating well and treating your body as if you are pregnant (as you very well could be).  Curtail strenuous activity, cut out alcohol, and stay away from tobacco.

For me, the first two were the hardest.  Curtailing strenuous activity was a mandate from my doctor, and not being able to work out was challenging.  I felt useless and ....fat.  No Yoga, Kickboxing, Zumba and definitely no sex.  Virtually zero calorie-burning! *yawn.    As for wine...I'm still struggling from withdrawal symptoms.  Occasionally, I'd pour a glass of juice in a wine glass and sip slowly with cheese and crackers....to feel whole again.  At a social event recently while out with friends, they all ordered wine and cocktails and I ordered......green tea.  My girlfriend 'tried' her hardest not to laugh at me.  It was quite challenging.


No comments:

Post a Comment